The answers to each of the following questions would
have appeared in the newspapers in 2002, and the questions are grouped
according to which section of the newspaper they would have been in. Oh, and this time, the pictures are
relevant. Two marks for each correct
answer, one for a near miss, for a total possible score of 50.
Winners to be announced after Christmas.
* Send your entry
In addition, each question carries a bonus, normally for
one mark, which I’ll tot up separately but only for fun.
- What is the National Lottery’s main draw
Bonus: in which
year did the National Lottery start?
resigned after not doing as well as she should?
Bonus: who was her successor?
- Which writer, broadcaster and former MP revealed
she had a secret affair with a former prime minister?
appropriately, was the title of her first novel?
- Whose attendance at a luncheon party resulted in
the significant downgrading of his accommodation?
Bonus: who was
the hostess of the luncheon party?
- How is the Bedford self-propelled pump better
roughly, how many of them are there?
- Who went on trial at the International Criminal
Tribunal in the Hague for war crimes committed in three regions formerly
Bonus: can you
name one or more of the three regions?
- Who is the current US Secretary of State?
Bonus: and who is
the current US Defence (or Defense) Secretary?
- What was the title of the Russian musical so
tragically interrupted by Chechen terrorists?
what does the title mean in English?
- Which former Wimbledon champion was convicted of
tax evasion in October?
how many times did he win Wimbledon?
- Who won France’s presidential election?
who was his unexpected opponent in the final ballot?
- In February, who won the ITV talent contest Pop
who was the runner-up?
- What did Microsoft call their entry into the
games console market?
but which company remains the market leader?
- What is the title of the latest Harry Potter
in it, which eminent actor plays Gilderoy Lockhart?
- Which female artist won the 2002 Brit Award for
the best international album?
Bonus: to whom did she present the Outstanding
Contribution to British Music award?
- Which aging rocker (or roller?) was knighted by
the Queen in her Birthday Honours?
Bonus: but who, in the picture above on the right,
is next to him, also the recipient of a knighthood?
Business and Technology
- What is the name of the free BBC terrestrial
digital service launched following the collapse of ITV Digital?
Bonus: and what was ITV Digital’s earlier name when
it first started in 1998?
- How many countries adopted the Euro as their
unit of currency on 1 January?
Bonus: apart from
the UK, which EU members did not?
- What is the name of the European Space Agency’s launch
Bonus: where is
the launch site?
- Which vegetables appeared in new colours in
supermarket first sold them?
- Where in the UK is the so-called ‘winking
prestigious award did it win in 2002?
who won the Tour de France for the fourth year in a row?
how many other men have won four tours?
who won the Golden Shoe award at the World Cup in Japan/South
who was the last English winner of this award?
- Tennis: which round did Tim Henman reach at
Wimbledon this year?
he was beaten by the championship winner – who?
- Boxing: in June, who retained his world
heavyweight championship titles by beating Mike Tyson?
Bonus: where did the fight take place?
Racing: who won the Formula 1
World Drivers Championship?
Bonus: what team does he drive for?