Overbury Bowling Club – Quiz Night
Saturday 20 January 2007
Round 1 - Pot Luck
English county is also known as Salop?
- What famous German airship crashed in New Jersey in 1937?
- In which fountain should you toss a coin if you want to return
- Which chess piece is never taken?
- What is the name of Agatha Christie’s famous Belgian detective?
- If in a race you overtook the person in 6th place,
what position would you then be in?
- In 1847, what did Sir Charles Isham introduce to the English
- In which mountain range is the Jungfrau
- In 1896, the discovery of gold in a Canadian
river valley led to which famous gold rush?
- What instrument is used
to measure the presence of radio-activity?
Round 2 What’s Your Name?
(All answers are, or contain, a
common Christian name)
- Which of the signs of the
Zodiac can also be a man's name?
- What is the name of the type of belt, originally made of
leather with a diagonal sash and worn by British officers in the First
- In rugby, what do you call as
you catch the ball inside your own 22 to get a free kick?
- Which herb is used in pesto?
- In the underworld, what is a
safe-breaker known as?
- Which TV programme have
Eamonn Andrews, Leslie Crowther and Michael Aspel presented?
- What common English tree has
the Latin name ilex aquifolium?
- What game is played with a
set of small six-pointed metal pieces and a small ball, the object being
to pick up the pieces in various combinations?
- What is the NATO phonetic
word for the letter O?
- What fossil resin, also used for jewellery, is much valued as a
Round 3 Entertainment
- Former 60s model and now one of the faces of Marks and Spencer,
how is Leslie Hornby better known?
- Which film famously used the line ‘I’m going to make him an
offer he can’t refuse’?
- The music 'The Devil's Gallop' was used as the theme for which
early radio adventure series?
- In Coronation
Street, who died in April 2006 in
the arms of his long time rival?
- Who won the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award in
- What recent TV series is quite literally a spin-off from Doctor
- What subject does Monty Don present on television?
- In September 2006 the TV programme How Do You Solve A
Problem Like Maria selected a star for which musical?
- Which TV family live at 742 Evergreen Terrace?
- What’s the name of the
new James Bond (the actor’s name)?
Round 4 The A Team
(All ten answers begin with the letter A)
- The largest breed of terrier
- Circular coral reef that encloses a lagoon
- The citadel of Ancient Athens
- This North African country was invaded by France in 1830, and is the largest country
crossed by the Greenwich
- Nearest galaxy to our own galaxy
- First of the noble gases alphabetically
- Any alloy of mercury
- Five letter word deriving from the Latin meaning ‘elsewhere’
- Common name for the thyroid cartilage
- Sixth Thursday after Easter
Round 5 Picture Round
1 2 3
Who are these
well known people?
4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16
Round 6 Also Known As …
Who or what
is also known as
- The Granite City
- The Flanders Mare
- The King of Spain
- The Man with the Golden Trumpet
Master of Suspense
City of Dreaming Spires
Garden of England
Round 7 Home and Garden
- Where do you commonly find the quotation ‘Standing on the
shoulders of giants’?
- Who invented the ball-point pen?
- What is catalogued by Stanley
- In the world of computers, what does ISP stand for?
- Flemish bond and English bond are types of what?
- From which country does the dish paella originate?
- Who invented the sewing machine in 1851?
- What breakfast cereal is advertised on television by Ian
- If you had a ‘moneymaker’ on your plate, what would it be?
- In a standard game of Cluedo,
which of the following characters could not be the murderer: Mrs White, Dr Black, Professor Plum or
8 Man’s Best Friend
What is the name of the pet dog or
Dennis the Menace
Punch and Judy.
Little Orphan Annie
The Famous Five
10. Corporal Rusty
Round 9 Have You Been Paying Attention?
- In November last year, who swapped his chair at the BBC for a
similar but more lucrative one at ITV?
What was the poison allegedly
used to murder the Russian dissident Anatoliy Litvinenko?
- Where will David Beckham be playing his football next year?
- Who is the Member of
Parliament for Tewkesbury?
- Who preceded John Reid as Home Secretary?
- Which famous show business scientologist got married in
- Where would you have been this winter if you had been a member
of the Barmy Army?
- Where is the next summer Olympic Games to be held?
- Which controversial film director walked out of the Big Brother
celebrity house last week?
- What will all true Scotsmen be eating
Answers More Quizzes